Thursday, January 28, 2010

Giving up...

As I look around, my class that started out with not an empty seat in the room is slowly dwindling. The teacher announced that seven have already dropped and he hasn't given the first test yet. Wow!

I dropped a couple classes myself this semester. They were computer classes that I signed up for when I thought I was going to change my major. They were also online and for some reason beyond me I decided to drop both of them. I think that my heart knew before my head that it wasn't what I wanted because I vaguely remember dropping them. I do remember the, "Oh crap, I just dropped the class." comment coming off my lips after I had done it.

I now am back on track. I have eliminated "Giving up" from my vocabulary. I will study for College Algebra and I will learn it. I will stay in the CIS 101 class for the simple reason that I might learn something and because I don't have the extra cash to test out of it.

I was having a bad day a few weeks ago and a friend of mine from high school sent me a poem that I had sent her when she was in basic training. It goes like this...

Don’t Quit ...

When things go wrong as they sometimes will,
When the road your trudging seems all uphill,
When funds are low and debts too high
When you want to smile,
But you have to sigh
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest if you must,
But don’t quit.
Often the struggler has given up
When he might have captured
The victorious cup
And he learned too late when
Night came down,
How close he was to the golden crown.
Success is failure turned inside out.
So stick to the fight
When you’re hardest hit,
It’s when things seem worst
You mustn’t quit.


It came at a time when I was ready to quit, to just give up. She had some kind words about how it had inspired her when she was ready to quit and had made her keep going. That's what it did for me, also.

So, even though some things in my life are chaning, I'm not quitting. I have many years in front of me but I'm not going to focus on those right now. Right now, I'm taking life one day at a time. I'm going to enjoy the path I have chosen and if it gets rocky then I'll push on through and I'll be a better person for it in the end.

No comments: