Wednesday, February 18, 2009

There's a bite in the air...

When I got out of class today I was expecting it to be cold outside. It really wasn't bad. When I got home, which is 45 minutes away, it was cold. I wouldn't say bitterly cold because I think of that as teens but the bite of winter was back in the air. Ole Jack Frost had decided to not let winter slip away so quick. I opened my back door and my new Gooseberry Patch cookbook had arrived. When I walked out to the mailbox after walking next door to retrieve Paden I also had received my heirloom seed catalog. It's time to start thinking about that. I'm going to plant a seperate little garden of my own this year. Actually, I'm calling it Colton and Paden's garden just so mom won't have a fit when I plant it seperate from the massive 3 gardens that we already plant. I'm thinking about making this little heirloom garden a kind of raised bed garden.

When Steve and I lived in our duplex in Republic we had the best little garden right out the backdoor. I planted a couple tomato plants, a squash plant, a few hills of corn, and a couple pepper plants. It may not have been a big garden but it was a HUGE producer. I think all the love and caring that we put into it had something to do with it, too. We would go outside nightly and set by the little garden and Steve would sneak out and weed it constantly. We've had numerous gardens since then but I think because of the size we've never took the time or gave it the love that we did that first garden.

So while the bite may be in the air, dreams of warmer weather are in the heart. It's time to go curl up on the couch with my cuddly John Deere blanket, my cookbook and my seed catalog and a nice cup of hot chocolate.

Have a good evening everyone.

No comments: