Monday, May 25, 2009

Blue Plate Monday-Shepherd's Pie



Good Memorial Day Monday!!!
I was happy to see Kelly over at (un)DeniablyDomestic posted her Blue Plate Monday special last night. Come on and join us as we dig in the recipe boxes and find some scrumptiouly good meals to serve to your loved ones that we serve to ours.
Here's how my day went:
I went to Bass Pro today and fought all the tourists to find Colton some stuff he needed for YHEC and a new pair of hiking boots because his foot is growing so fast.

We stopped in Fair Grove on the way home and Steve got a new dog. He's a Blue Heeler named Bandit. He was a pup out of one of our friends dogs' and they had not been able to give him away so Steve decided he needed him. He seems to be pretty laid back and has slept all afternoon since he had a bath in my bedroom floor by Steve's side of the bed. I'll post pictures later but if anybody would like a little female they have one left.

So, anyway after spending way over the alotted amount at Bass Pro, Steve has to take leftovers for a couple days until payday. So, I was going to make Alabama French Toast for dinner but that changed. Instead, I made a Shepherd's Pie.

Colton, really enjoyed this and it should be relatively easy to pack and reheat for lunch tomorrow for Steve. I like making dishes like this because everything is almost all in one bowl. You just have to serve with a salad and dessert and you're finished.

I have made Shepherd's Pies before and basically I just made this one up as I went. So here it goes.

Gina's Shepherds Pie

2#'s Ground Beef
1 onion, chopped
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1 can each
Green Beans
Peas
Carrots
Corn
1 box Garlic Roasted Mashed Potatoes

1) You brown the hamburger and onions. And you fix the potatoes, at the same time in another pan.

2) Then, I greased a 9 x 13, casserole dish. I put the ground beef and onion mixture on the bottom of the casserole dish.

3) Then, I layered the canned vegetables.


3) I placed, the mashed potatoes on top and placed it in the oven at 350 degrees.
4) I cooked this until it was bubbly and the potatoes were starting to brown. If you want browner peaks you can broil for the last couple of minutes but I have a gas oven and I hate to use the broiler.

5) Yell, Dinner's Ready!!! Watch the troops head for the kitchen.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Regina, This is a great recipe as all the ingredients can be found in the everyday pantry list! Will give it a try to be sure. Thank you so much for joining in again and enjoy that new puppy. Sounds like you had a fun day! ~Kelly