Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Music

Usually when I am sitting and doing my homework, I listen to Pandora on the computer. Today, I created a new station because I wanted to hear a certain song and they never played the song that I created the station from but they played many others. As I sat and concentrated on my Algebra, songs kept coming on that stirred many memories.

Isn't it funny how a song that plays during or after something major in your life suddenly becomes part of that memory. It's at times like these that those memories can come flooding in. Some songs you might remember from a concert. Others you might remember from a fight with a significant other. Or maybe you remember a special song that was played at your wedding. Music plays an important part in our lives.

Songs can make you cry, make you smile or sometimes they just make you think.

Music comes in many types from classical to metal. Needless to say, I don't care much for either. I remember playing classical music on the piano during recitals and I never really cared for it. I have only in the last 10 years started to listen to classic rock and a smidge of hip hop. I can't stand metal or whatever that head banging stuff is that you can't understand what they're saying. I'm mostly a country music girl. So most of my memories are tied to country songs. Though I do remember playing name that tune with a previous boyfriend on classic rock.

Music is played at graduation. It's played at weddings. It's played at funerals and it's played at almost every celebration in between. It makes me wonder what we would do without music.

I played music to my boys when I was carrying them. It's common practice to play music to babies when they are upset. Sometimes you leave a radio on for your pets.

Music is soothing. Music is lively. Music is what it needs to be for whatever moment we need it.

We can dance to it. We can cry to it. We can walk to it. We can run to it. We can chill out to it. We can play it at night and let it put us to sleep.

I'm just glad we have it.

No comments: