Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Free write

When I was dating Steve he wanted to take me on a trip to North Carolina. So, I went. We went to Ashville to the Biltmore Estate that was built by George Vanderbilt. On the Estate they have turned what was once the dairy barn into a winery. They had free wine tasting if you bought this $20.00 wineglass and of course Steve had to sample every wine in the winery. As we were walking past this outdoor area that the kids were in we saw a barrell that you could stomp grapes in and then have your footprints made. My silly boyfriend had to jump right in line and have it done. This started a new thing for the adults. When he was done having his footprints made the line was full of adults and all the kids were looking at them like they had gone mad.
We drove around the Blue Ridge Parkway. In one spot you can pull off and walk up this trail to a little church that sets way up on the top of the mountain. All you can see from the roadway is the cross that is on top of the steeple. Steve wanted to hike up the mountain the four miles to see it. As we got on the trail he was walking faster than I was as I was enjoying the nature and looking for bears that I knew would be around to eat me when a little snake went skating across my foot. Steve has reenacted my reaction for many a listener to this day. He does this little dance and yells….SNAKE as he dances around crazily. He swears that was the reaction I had but I’m sure it was more of fleeing reaction as I remember reaching the car way before he ever did. He thinks it was my imagination too because he never found a snake. I personally think it was a python that somebody had turned loose because it probably had gotten to big for its cage.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Regina - Your blog is delightful! I hope you will keep it up and I promise to write about that kitchen binder on my blog! ~Ms. A