Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Homeschooling

I began homeschooling Colton when he was in kindergarten. Actually, he was about through with kindergarten. He has been home this entire time and the whole thought of going back totally sent him into a tail spin. Lately, he has been thinking about going back if he can go to Fair Grove. He has struck up quite the friendship with the kids from his 4-H group and he has decided he would like to go to school with them. I think Fair Grove would be an appropriate school to put him in and so does Steve. We just are not ready to make that move quite yet. I have thought about putting Colton back into the Dallas County school system but my gut gets knots and I push the thought away.

We have had quite the journey homeschooling. I have learned probably as much as he has. Things that I don't remember learning in school, I have gotten refreshed on. Things that Colton wanted to learn more about, we have thrown ourselves into whole heartedly and learned.

I used to think that he wasn't missing out on anything by not being in school. I still feel that way about some things. I don't think any child should ever have to go through the whole clique thing. Especially, if you are the child on the outside. But I do think he is missing out on having to make a deadline, being held accountable for not turning something in on time and things that being a mom you just overlook.

I think he is getting to the point that he is missing having friends. He stays active in 4-H and YHEC and he gets to see his friends but I think he would like to see them more on a day to day basis.

As a family, we have some major decisions to make concerning the rest of Colton's schooling. I don't regret any of the time he has been at home. He has learned. He has exceled. Now he has to learn to use what we have taught him.

No comments: