Monday, April 27, 2009

Little Boys & Mud

I have to laugh every time I see one of those moms that can't stand it if her child gets dirty. You know, the one that has a bib around her childs neck constantly because she don't want the little buggers to drool on themselves. Both my boys have had ample dirt time and I must say that many an outfit has met it's match with drool.

Today when I came home Paden wanted to know if he could play in the mud. He tried to explain to me that daddy had told him that he couldn't play in the mud but I scoffed at that idea. I walked him home from Mema's house, changed his clothes, put his rubber boots on and told him to go have fun. I explained, as best I could to a four year old, that he had approximately one hour to play then he had to come in and we had to get him cleaned up before daddy got home from work. Thirty minutes later this is what appeared on my front porch. Not quite what I bargained for but one look at that smile and those little blue eyes and I stripped him down and brought him in and put him in the tub. I also had to pour the water out of his rubber boots. His clothes, well, they are still soaking in the washing machine. I'm sure with the bleach that I added and after a couple washes they will be fine. If not, well, C'est la vie.
Having a couple of boys has been a blast. I grew up around boys. Five, to be exact. I'm not sure I would have been able to handle a little girl if she would have been all frills and curls. I think that's why I was blessed with two little boys. The first was not a dare devil. The second will try anything. I learned today that when he tells you he's going to wallow like a pig in the mud, well, he means it. He also made a slip-n-slide out of a mud hole and loved it.
So, if you all were wondering what to do with the rain, go make some mud pies. Have fun. Enjoy life and laugh.

No comments: